Wednesday, September 25, 2013

Why You Need a Daily Practice

I'm not a morning person, as much as I try to be, it's a major struggle to peel myself out of my warm cozy bed. My daughter recently started school so I need to have her at the bus stop by 7:15, which means my day starts at 6, or if I want to get my yoga practice in, 5:30. Yuck.

Deciding that 5:30 just wasn't for me I let my daily practice slide for about two weeks. It was a rough two weeks. I was irritable and my fuse was short. I wasn't as happy and calm about things as I ususally am. I didn't like feeling rushed from the second I got out of bed till I fell back in it at night. I wasn't starting my day with calm so the choas I created in the morning seemed to stick with me all day. All the little aches and pains I woke up with progressivly got worse throughout the day. I felt emotionally and physically worn out. It was time to bring back my practice. A daily yoga practice is like a morning cup of coffee (feel free to inject whatever your morning beverage is here). When you don't get your coffee you are tired, have a headache and your whole day seems off. God help me if I miss my coffee and my yoga practice!

A daily practice is a great way to start your day. It allows you to slowly wake up the body with suble movements and gives you a quite moment to say good morning to yourself. You can check in and see how you are physically and emotionally. It's like a little self evaluation. Your brain can start on a quiet note rather than a got to go now mode. Your practice can be something as simple as 15-20 minutes (that is the extent of mine as getting up at 5am, well that's just not physically possible for me right now) or it can be a full length practice of 60-90 minutes.

A good daily practice should include enough poses to generally warm up the body and stretch all of your trouble spots. For example, I wake up with tight hips and shoulders. So I incorporate poses into my practice that will help open those areas up. Also allow at least 3-5 minutes (more if you can) of meditation or savasana to allow your body to get set for the day.

Mornings are the best time of the day for a daily practice, it gives you a quiet, solid start to the day. I find when I say I'll practice later, I never do, something else comes up. You will want to practice before you eat and try to do your morning constitution before practicing as well. Wash your face and brush your teeth so you feel fresh as you practice. Try going to bed a half hour early. Getting enough sleep is essential so you may have to adjust your schedule a bit. Belive me, it is worth it.

Below is a sample of my morning routine. It is very simple and can take 15 to 20 minutes. I usually hold each pose for 3-5 breaths, longer if it feels really good. Giving myself that little bit of time in the  morning, no matter how hard it is to get out of bed, is so worth it the rest of the day. No matter how rushed I am for time, I'm able to hold on to the sanctuary of calmness that I created with my morning practice.

Morning Practice: Move with your breath, focus on alignment. You can click on the links below to get more details on the poses. Try to keep your mind focused on the breath and the movement, you have all day to think, take this time to just feel and be present.

1. Repeat this sequence 3-5 times.

Childs Pose
Down Dog
Plank
Up Dog
Down Dog

2. Repeat on each side.

Down Dog, inhale right leg up
Low Lung
High Lung with back bend
High Lung with opposite arm arching over (if your right leg is in front, your left arm and side body arch over to the right)
Intense Side Stretch
Plank
Cat/Cow Pose
Up Dog
Down Dog

3. Repeat of each side.

Down Dog
Warrior II
Extended Side Angle
Triangle
Plank
Up Dog
Down Dog

4. Do each pose once.

Supine Twist: Lay on your back with your knees bent, arms extended out to the side. On your exhale drop your knees to the right, relax. Inhale bring the knees to center, exhale drop them to the left, relax.
Four Square: Lay on your back with your knees bent. Place your right ankle on your left knee. Reach through your legs and grab your left shin. Pull your left knee into your chest. Repeat on the other side.
Happy Baby
Savasana





No comments:

Post a Comment