Friday, September 27, 2013

Add Some Playfulness to Your Practice and Your Life

Have you ever been to a yoga class and just felt like it was the same sequence over and over again? Perhaps I just described your home practice...yoga burnout happens to all of us, it has happened to me many a times. I am actually in the middle of one. Some people thrive on repetition, think Bikram lovers. Other get bored, we like to change things up. I never plan a class, I make up the sequence as I go, but even with that I can sometimes get in a rut and do the same poses.

I went to Kripalu last month and was inspired by one of the teachers there. Some of the poses he linked together were fresh and fun. I loved how he taught us the sequence then let us do it a few times to the rhythm of our breath. It was liberating and fluid once I figured out my rhythm. It personalized the class. I also took some yoga dance classes there and loved the playfulness of it and just how great it felt to let my body move wherever and however it wanted to the music.

Often times when I look at my students faces in class they look so serious. They are focusing on their breath, their alignment and what they are going to have for dinner. Many times during a class I will remind them to smile. Yoga is there to enlighten you, not weigh you down with worries. Don't worry if your pose isn't perfect, don't worry if you lost track of your breath and don't worry if you can't keep your mind present. Even as I teach my mind can wander. The important part is that you keep coming back to the breath, back to the body and back to the present moment. If you get behind the flow, who cares, you will eventually catch up. Do what is most needed for your body.

Bring some creativity into your practice. Pick out some of your favorite poses and figure out how to link them together with the breath. Hold each pose for one breath before flowing into the next. Imagine it like a dance. Below is an example.

Chair Pose

Stork Pose, stand tall with feet slightly apart. bend and lift your right knee so it is parallel to the ground, engage your abs. For more challenge extend the leg out but make sure to keep the spine long and strong.

Warrior III or airplane (airplane is the same as warrior III but the arms are out to the side. If that is too hard you can put your hands on your hips. Focus on leveling out the hips.

High Lunge

Stork Pose

Tadasana

Flow through 3 to 5 times on the right side (meaning your right leg will come up in stork, back in warrior III and high lunge) before you move to the left. Move slowly, with intention and with the breath. Focus on your alignment, especially the hips. Flowing sequences like this when incorporated with the breath are very calming and can create a lot of heat to warm up the body so are good at the beginning of a class. The sequence above is a strengthening sequence for the hips, legs and core. As you do the sequence don't think about how hard it is just focus on the breath and smile. Studies show that even if we don't mean it, a smile can still trigger happiness so fake it till you make it.

You can link just about any pose together. The trick is that it shouldn't be too complicated a transition and it should be safe for your body. Don't link too many poses as you don't want to forget half way through the sequence where you're going next.

Get creative and have fun. When we are bored with things we need to change them up a bit. Bring out your inner child, lighten up a bit and dance.

No comments:

Post a Comment