Sunday, October 6, 2013

The Perfect Yoga Mat

I'm neurotic about my mat. I would rather practice on a bare floor than borrow a studio mat or bum one off of a friend. My mat is my space. It has to be just the right amount of sticky and thick enough so that when I'm on my knees I'm comfortable. I've had a lot of yoga mats over the years, in fact I still have my first mat. It was a forest green mat from Gaiam. I don't actually use it anymore, I think I keep it around for nostalgic reasons. It was a good first mat, but I found that it lost its stickiness after a few months. Nothing distracts you more in a class than slipping on your mat. The feeling of stability on your mat gives your mind the same sense of stability. When we are slipping in life it makes our mind feel unsettled.

The saying, "You get what you pay for." is so true when it comes to yoga mats. If you go to target and buy a mat for $19 you are going to get a crap mat. It will be thin and lose its stickiness quickly and is generally made in china with harmful chemicals. In a yoga class you do a lot of deep breathing with your face close to your mat (think chaturanga). You want to make sure that you aren't breathing anything harmful. 

There are a lot of mats to choose from out there and I've tried a few. I stopped looking when I found Manduka. Check out this link for Premium Yoga Mats from Manduka. I love their mats! They are an eco-friendly company so you know you're not going to be doing yoga on a toxic surface nor breathing in nasty fumes. They have a large variety of mats to choose from. Thin, thick, skinny, wide, light or heavy...just to name a few. All kinds of colors are available and when you are done you can even get a mat recycling kit.

The thing I love the most about this mat is that it stays sticky and the thickness of my mat hasn't thinned out. I've had my current mat for about three years and it is still as sticky and thick as when I bought it. I can wash it as well. I just get some mat wash (I love the one from Vermont Organics, it's their Organic Yoga and Exercise Mat Cleaner 16oz), scrub it down and throw it in the washer on gentle (with no soap) and let it air dry. Don't ever dry your mat in the sun, it will break down the rubber. My only complaint about this mat is that when I first got it it had a strong rubber smell, however you will find that all new mats smell. At least with this mat you know the smell isn't harming you.

Manduka mats aren't cheap. The cheapest one you can buy is $40. Like I mentioned above I had my current mat for about three years and I don't foresee buying another one anytime soon. I spent about $70 on mine. If I bought a cheap mat for $20, but had to replace it every year I would be spending the same amount over time so why not go with the better product?

Getting the perfect mat for your practice is important. You are creating your space to practice and your mat is an important aspect of that. Your mat is an extension of who you are. The color you choose, the thickness, etc. They all say a little bit about you. Making an investment in your yoga practice may also encourage you to stick with it. Take your time choosing your mat and find the right fit for you.

No comments:

Post a Comment